- Course Code
- March 2017
- Study Area
- Trades & Licensing
- Hamilton, Portland, Warrnambool
- Mode & Length
- Part Time (2 days per week, 8 months)
- Direct Entry
- Course Description
This a great course for those wanting to gain some base-level skills upon which to build. It is also ideal for those who want to test the waters to determine whether they are suited to being a mechanic. SWTAFE offers a pre-apprenticeship program which provides general knowledge, mechanical skills and hands-on workshop experience in basic automotive functions and vehicle systems. This is a great staring point and knowledge of this nature is never wasted.
- Training Facilities
- All training is delivered in our fully functioning automotive
workshops equipped with the latest in technology.
- Student Placement
- There is no organised student work placement with this program,
however students are encouraged to seek work placement to gain
skills in the Automotive industry.
- Careers & Pathways
- Career Opportunities
- Automotive Apprenticeships
- Pathways & Value Adding to Your Course
- The Certificate II in Automotive Studies provides a pathway to
further study at South West TAFE. Credits in some units from
the Certificate II in Automotive Studies can be used towards
an Automotive Apprenticeship.
- Apply & Enrol
- Application & Entry Requirements
- This course is available via Direct Entry.
Direct Entry - apply directly to the Institute by speaking to the
Course Coordinator. Details available from the Customer Service
Entry Requirements for this course include;
- Applicants must have a high degree of motivation and interest
along with appropriate literacy and numeracy skills appropriate
to this level.
- Applicants must be at least 16 years of age.
- Enrolment Process
- Once the selection and eligibility process for this course has been finalised, the enrolment process can begin.
An Enrolment Form is available from the Course Coordinator and must be signed by the Course Coordinator, prior to enrolling. Once the Course Coordinator has signed the Enrolment Form, this must be taken with evidence of eligibility documentation*, with payment, and any concession card (not valid for Diploma and Advanced Diploma level courses) to the Customer Service Centre at any of our campuses.
Please contact the Customer Service Centre with any questions regarding the enrolment process.
* For detail information please go to swtafe.vic.edu.au/students/how-to-enrol/enrolment-process/
- Unique Student Identifier
- If you are studying nationally recognised training in Australia, you are required to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). Your USI links to an online account that contains your training records and results for training completed from 1 January 2015 onwards. One of the main benefits of the USI is the ability to provide you with easy access to your training records and results throughout your life and this will assist you when applying for a job or enrolling in further study. You are required to have a USI at the time of enrolment – especially if you want to use VET Student Loans to defer your fees. To apply online or get more information go to www.usi.gov.au.
- Student Support
- Student Support
At South West TAFE we're here to help you complete your studies happily and successfully.
From the moment you start thinking about course options until you finish, you’ll have access to a range of student support options, covering enrolment, education, social and personal issues, including:
- Education Pathway Officers who can help you with information sessions, fee payment options, TAFE and university pathways, career pathways and campus tours
- A DHHS registered Disability Support Team
- Koorie Liaison Officer
- Student Wellbeing Officer supporting your personal and social needs
- Library and Research Centre
- Bookshop supplying a range of textbooks and stationery
- Student Learning Support including literacy and numeracy
- Fees & Charges
- Skills First funding
Skills First is a strong, stable,
high quality training and TAFE
system that gives all Victorians
the opportunity to develop the
skills they need – and the skills
employers want – for jobs today
and tomorrow. Skills First makes TAFE training more accessible to people who do not have a post-school qualification or who want to gain a higher level qualification than they already have. It provides funding to support the training of every eligible person seeking to undertake accredited training at South West TAFE.
Eligibility to access Skills First varies on individual circumstances such as citizenship, age and prior educational history.
Speak with a customer service officer on 1300 648 911 to determine your eligibility for each course or visit Skills First FAQ.
- Tuition Fees
The following tables outline the tuition fees per unit for the Certificate II in Automotive Studies (Pre-Apprenticeship) .You will be required to enrol in and complete all Core Units, however, you will make a selection of units from the Electives depending on the requirements of the qualification and/or your employer (if applicable).
The student pays price displayed is for government subsidised training. The Government subsidised Tuition Fee for this course is $3.10 per hour.
There are a number of criteria that you will need to meet in order to be eligible for support from the Victorian Training Guarantee (VTG). If you don’t meet those criteria you will be a full fee paying student.
If you meet all eligibility criteria and hold a current healthcare or pension card, you may be eligible to receive a fee concession. The concession rate is applicable for Certificate I to Certificate IV courses only.
For more information regarding full fee pricing and concession rates, contact our Customer Service Centre on 1300 648 911 or email@example.com.
The student tuition fees as published are estimated for 2017 fee rates, and are subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment. Additional fees
may also apply, such as materials and amenities.
- Core Units
|AURC270103A||Apply safe working practices||20||$250.00||$62.00||$12.40||$0.00
|VBN644||Carry Out Industry Research||40||$500.00||$124.00||$24.80||$0.00
- Elective Units
|AURT270278A||Use and maintain workplace tooling and equipment||20||$250.00||$62.00||$12.40||$0.00
|VBN659||Dismantle and assemble Transmission, Manual (Conventional)||40||$500.00||$124.00||$24.80||$0.00
|VBN662||Remove and Replace Clutch Assembly||20||$250.00||$62.00||$12.40||$0.00
|VBN668||Operate Electrical Test Equipment||40||$500.00||$124.00||$24.80||$0.00
|VBN672||Remove and Replace a Starter Motor||15||$187.50||$46.50||$9.30||$0.00
|VBN652||Dismantle and assemble engine, four-stroke multi-cylinder (petrol)||40||$500.00||$124.00||$24.80||$0.00
|VBN653||Remove and assemble engine cylinder head||20||$250.00||$62.00||$12.40||$0.00
|VBN658||Remove and Replace Transmission, Manual (Conventional)||20||$250.00||$62.00||$12.40||$0.00
|VBN665||Remove and Replace Brake Assemblies||20||$250.00||$62.00||$12.40||$0.00
|VBN666||Remove and Replace Wheel and Tyre Assemblies||10||$125.00||$31.00||$6.20||$0.00
|VBN674||Remove and Refit Batteries||15||$187.50||$46.50||$9.30||$0.00
|VPAU209||Participate In Basic Vehicle Servicing Operations||40||$500.00||$124.00||$24.80||$0.00